Following on from our previous update about the retrospective LTC compound planning application, Thames Crossing Action Group have now submitted our comments on the application to Thurrock Council, which you can read below.
Comments in relation to this planning application 20/00430/FUL had to be submitted by Thurs 14th May 2020.
Points to remember
- This is not about whether you support the proposed Lower Thames Crossing, it is specifically about the retrospective planning application ref 20/00430/FUL
- Your comments are being made to Thurrock Council, not Highways England/LTC
- Please keep your comments relating to the planning application and not your opinions on LTC as a whole
Some of the things we considered when commenting
- Why did the applicant submit 2 retrospective planning applications rather than submit them before carrying out the work/changes?
- Is it acceptable that a contractor working for such a large project as LTC is not aware they need planning permission?
- Has the applicant provided adequate and accurate info in the application?
- Why has the applicant stated work or change of use started on April 1st 2020, when we have written evidence from HE/LTC that the compound has been in use for LTC since Dec 2019?
- Why has the new building/structure on the site not been mentioned in the application?
- What impact will 300 vehicles using this site have on our local roads and communities?
- Why are the expected 20 tonne vehicles not mentioned in the planning application form?
- What confidence do we have that we can trust the contractors using this site, based on existing experience, including repeated evidence of non-compliance of COVID-19 2m distancing guidelines, whereby they have been putting not only themselves but also all of us and the NHS at risk?
- What exactly will be stored at the compound?
- Why is the applicant stating “Parking and storage of vehicles, plant, equipment and materials associated with construction of the Lower Thames Crossing.” in response to be asked what activites and processes will be carried out at the site, when construction would be illegal without a DCO being granted, and a DCO application hasn’t even been submitted yet for LTC?
- How long is the applicant proposing to be using this site for?
Plus of course anything else you feel relevant to the application!!
TCAG’s official comments in response to the retrospective LTC compound planning applicationLTC Compound Retrospective Planning Application – TCAG Comments
You can click on the arrows at the bottom of the pdf file above to click through the 5 pages, and also the + and – to zoom in and out if needed.
Update March 2021
The application has now submitted a request for an amendment to the application, which can be viewed here. It states HE have requested that the temporary period could be five years instead of three years as they had previously indicated.
Update April 2021
Today (Tues 20th April 2021) we (TCAG) received an email from Thurrock Council advising us that planning application 20/00430/FUL will be will be considered by the Planning Committee on 22nd April 2021 at 6.00pm. This meeting will be livestreamed and can be watched via: https://thurrock.public-i.tv/core/portal/home
Because of COVID restrictions those wishing to be considered to speak at the virtual meeting had to submit a written statement to the council by 12 noon 2 working days before the meeting.
Since the email was only sent at 9am today, this means we had under 3 hours to prepare and submit our written statement. Hardly seems like adequate notice or enough time properly be able to prepare and submit such a statement, some may not have even had a chance to check their emails before the extremely short deadline had passed.
However, we just about managed to submit our written statement in with literally less than a minute to spare.TCAG Statement on LTC-HE Compound Pilgrims Lane Retrospective Planning Application
April 22nd 2021 UPDATE
We had been invited to read our statement at the planning meeting this evening. However, we have just been told by the council that the applicant has requested the application be moved back to June as “the application requires further work on it”.
Says a lot doesn’t it?! Firstly they didn’t have the decency to submit it before starting on the site. They then submitted retrospective planning applications. They have since issued follow up info that varies from the original application. And now they say the application requires further work on it. Reminds us of the DCO application that they had to withdraw!
Update 5th June 2021
We have now received notification from Thurrock Council that the retrospective planning applications for the LTC compound in Pilgrims Lane, North Stifford (near Chafford Hundred Sainsburys) will be heard by the Planning Committee on 10 June 2021, meeting starting at 6pm. We have again been invited to present our statement at the meeting.
Update 10 June
We will likely update this further in due course, but just get a quick update online asap after the meeting. The decision of this planning application was deferred this evening by the planning committee, until an adequate traffic plan has been produced and shared so that the application can be considered further and a decision made.
The original update on this planning application can be found at https://www.thamescrossingactiongroup.com/retrospective-planning-application-for-ltc-compound/.